Monday, July 14, 2008

4th of July

This entry has been over a week in the making. It is bitter sweet and is very hard for me to write. My Dad passed away July 3 after a 13 month struggle following a severe stroke and a 3 week battle with Lymphoma. While we were expecting his passing it hit us hard none the less. My brother was in town from Wyoming which was a blessing, so my Dad was surrounded by those who loved him most; his wife and kids. We struggled with what to do on the 4th. Most of the arrangements had been made(thanks to Roberta Doug and Jeff), and what had not could not be done on the 4th anyway. We were faced with crying all day or trying to salvage part of it for the kids. My brother had the idea to go back to our hometown of Cedarburg and watch the fireworks from City Park like we used to as kids. After a back and forth we decided to go. We must have looked like a group of boring, no fun individuals. We did the best we could, laughed a couple of times and of course enjoyed the food! We decided that the 4th of July would take on a new and improved meaning for us: freedom for our country and freedom for Papa Willy. Dad was now free from his wheelchair, from his pain and his humiliation. He is now with his Dad and Grandparents and friends. He is walking again and probably having a drink and a cigarette if I know Dad. This is all worth celebrating, so we tried to do so. We imagined Dad watching the fireworks from Heaven and smiled. I felt guilty as did most I would guess, but we made it. I am hopeful that by going to Cedarburg and celebrating Papa Willy's new life in the Spirit World that upcoming 4th of July's will be tolerable. Here are a few pictures of the day.

All is well... We love you Dad and will see you soon!

2 comments:

The Schaefers said...

We are so sorry to hear about your dad. I am so glad that you had such a good relationship with him the last few years. It must be awful to lose a parent...
My heart goes out to you and your family. I am sure you will always remember your dad while you watch fireworks annually. You can think of it as his "light" pouring down from heaven!

Anonymous said...

I miss him too. He was such a good man. Always loved his family, believed in doing the right thing and wouldn't hesitate to shed a tear when it was appropriate.

I'm so grateful that your Dad and my Mom met. They were happy! He so loved my Mom and there is almost nothing else that gives me so much peace.

Love to you, Carl, Kaitlin and Scott.

God bless you!

Doug